Chilling confessions of Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative David Coleman during his 30-hour interrogation with the National Investigation Agency last year reveal that the 26/11 attack is not the worse the nation has experienced. In fact, the terror strike that massacred Mumbai has only inspired the terror group to continue waging "war" against India.
Professor Marvin Weinbaum, Scholar-in-Residence at the Middle East Institute, who has served in several US administrations as an expert on South Asia, particularly in the State Department's Policy Planning Bureau and Bureau of Intelligence and Research, told Congress on Thursday that the Lashkar-e-Tayiba, responsible for the horrific 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, could surpass or replace Al Qaeda as the number one terror network worldwide.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Kaveri Baweja allowed an application by the NIA seeking permission to examine Mohammed Aslam who was arrested by the Delhi Police's Special Cell from the national capital in August 2009.
The annual military operations budget of terror outfit Lashkar-e-Tayiba is a whopping $5.2 million, according to a secret United States document, which gives details about the outfit's fund raising activities, some of which comes through Jamaat-ud-Dawah's charitable networks.
The case filed in New York city against the ISI chief by Linda Ragsdale on August 12 prompted the court to issue summons to the ISI and the officials named, following which it was decided to merge all the four cases in the city. Ragsdale was shot in her back by one of the LeT terrorist at the Oberoi Trident hotel.
The 26-page lawsuit accusing the ISI of aiding and abetting the LeT in the slaughter of 166 people was filed before a New York Court on November 19, following which the Brooklyn court issued summons to Major Samir Ali, Azam Cheema, Ahmed Shuja Pasha, Nadeem Taj and Major Iqbal of the Inter-Services Intelligence of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi of the Lashkar-e-Tayiba and and Hafiz Saeed of the Jammat ud Dawaa.
It was not only Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative David Coleman Headley's two wives, but also five other sources who had provided tip offs to the United States intelligence authorities about his anti-India plans, a news report said on Saturday.
The handler of American-born Lashkar-e-Tayiba terrorist David Headley carried out reconnaissance in New Delhi when he came to the national capital in 2005 on the pretext of watching a Indo-Pak cricket match, according to an investigation report.
With just days to go before United States President Barack Obama arrives in India, a major controversy has erupted over American terror suspect David Coleman Headley, who had allegedly surveyed locations in Mumbai that were targeted by the 10 Lashkar-e-Tayiba terrorists on November 26, 2008.
Indications that US terror suspect David Headley could have been a "double agent" for American agencies and Pakistan-based outfits have become clearer for Indian investigators with mounting evidence coming there way.
Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative David Coleman Headley, a Pakistani-origin American citizen charged with criminal conspiracy in the Mumbai terror attacks, could face the 'maximum statutory penalty' of life imprisonment or death if convicted.This was contained in additional charges unsealed at a Chicago court, which is hearing the case against 49-year-old Headley, who was arrested by the Federal Bureau of Investigation in October, along with LeT operative Tahawwur Hussain Rana.
Haroon Naik, an arrested accused in 13/7 Mumbai blasts, had met Lashkar-e-Tayiba operations chief Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi and was present at an "inspirational" lecture by slain al Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden in Pakistan just a month before the 9/11 attack.
The much hyped-up trial of Pakistani-Canadian 26/11 terror accused Tahawwur Rana has finally come to a close in the United States and one could say with confidence it did not end the way in which many, especially in India, would have expected it to be.
Samraz, the wife of Mumbai attacks co-accused Tahawwur Rana, said on Tuesday that India was her second home and there was no reason her husband would have planned to attack that country.
Vicky Nanjappa provides a glimpse of what Rahul Bhatt, filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt's son and a 'witness' in the case against David Headley, revealed during questioning.
Mumbai attack co-accused David Headley on Thursday told a US court that a Pakistani Navy man was present during discussions with his ISI handler Major Iqbal on landing sites and arrival of Lashkar-e-Tayiba terrorists by sea.
Pakistan-based terror group Lashkar-e-Tayiba's recent attempt to recruit an American national to carry out terrorist attacks against targets in India, including individuals and institutions, is yet another tangible manifestation of its global reach, now extending even into America, intelligence sources have said.
Days after the Federal Bureau of Investigation busted Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Tayiba's plot to carry out terrorist attack in India using an American national, the United States on Friday asked its citizens to stay alert during their travel to India.
India is likely to get access to Tahawwur Hussain Rana, the Pakistani Canadian accused in the Mumbai terror attack case, after completion of his trial in an American court next month.
In revelations that clearly show Inter Services Intelligence's role in the Mumbai terror attacks, Pakistani-American terrorist David Headley has told his interrogators that the Pakistani intelligence agency had paid Rs 25 lakh to Lashkar-e-Tayiba to purchase a boat, which terrorists used to travel from Karachi.
Raised by Pakistan's Inter-Services-Intelligence for its proxy operations against India, the Lashkar-e-Tayiba has now become the largest terror group operating in the sub-continent and it also poses a potent threat to the United States, an American think-tank has said.
Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative David Headley's reported claim that Ishrat Jahan, killed in an encounter with police in Gujarat in 2004, was a suicide bomber of the terror outfit has been contested by the father of the man killed along with her.
In the third of the four-part series ProPublica's Sebastian Rotella reveals how the United States continued to believe that David Headley was an informant, even after receiving complaints from two of his wives about his radicalisation and his Lashkar-e-Tayiba links. The US State Department communicated the warnings to the CIA and FBI, but it remains unclear why they failed to act upon it.
On the eve of third anniversary of 26/11 Mumbai attacks, former home secretary G K Pillai on Friday accused the United States of entering into plea bargain with one of the key accused David Headley without taking India into confidence.
American official Raymond Davis, arrested for killing two Pakistanis in Lahore, may have headed a covert Central Intelligence Agency team that was tasked to secretly gather intelligence on the Pakistan-based terror group Lashkar-e-Tayiba, which the United States feels is getting out of the shadows of the Pakistan army to launch a campaign of jihad against it and Europe.
After much delay and discussions, the interrogation of Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative David Headley by a team of the National Investigation Agency has finally come to an end.Sources close to the members of the investigating team told rediff.com that the Pakistani American terror operative proved to be a tough nut to crack.Headley was well prepared to face the NIA team's questions and throughout the interrogations, he stuck to the earlier responses.
American official Raymond Davis, arrested for double murder, had "close links" with Taliban and was "instrumental" in recruiting youths for it, the media in Pakistan claimed on Tuesday, close on the heels of reports in the United States that he was a Central Intelligence Agency agent tracking movements of terror groups like the Lashkar-e-Tayiba.
Union Home Secretary Gopal K Pillai said a Commission may even be sent to the United States for getting evidence, may be from Headley, his wife and from other people, for which it would talk to the US authorities.
The NIA, which has been on the trail of American terror operative David Coleman Headley, had been hoping to piece together the terror jig-saw by gaining independent access to Lashkar-e-Tayiba founder Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi and Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Saeed, who are alleged to have masterminded the Mumbai carnage.
Months before the Federal Bureau of Investigation finally arrested David Coleman Headley, his Moroccan wife Faiza Outalha had tried to warn the FBI about the Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative's terror links.
Pakistani-American terrorist David Headley's plea bargain, under which he confessed to plotting the Mumbai terror attacks, throws light on close links between the Al Qaeda and the Lashkar-e-Tayiba, according to former Central Intelligence Agency expert Bruce Riedel.Headley's story showed in clear contours the close relationship between Al Qaeda and the Pakistani militant group LeT, Riedel, who led the review of the Obama administration's Af-Pak strategy,said.
In an interview with Rediff.com's Vicky Nanjappa, George Alexander Mapp, a friend of Faiza Outalha, estranged wife of Lashkar-e-Tayiba terrorist David Coleman Headley, talks about his relationship with Faiza, his ordeal with the NIA and what he thinks about the Headley case.
Pakistan American terrorist David Headley, who has pleaded guilty to charges of plotting the Mumbai terror attacks, has claimed that co-accused Tahawwur Hussain Rana too was involved in the conspiracy.
Law enforcement sources rubbished allegations that Headley was a double agent for US intelligence and that this was why he was not being made available for interrogation by Indian intelligence.
Pakistani-American David Coleman Headley had participated in terror camps being run by the Lashkar-e-Tayiba in Pakistan, despite promises by the then president Parvez Musharraf in 2002 to the George W Bush administration, that all such facilities will be shut down. Headley, a LeT operative arrested in October 2009 by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, had attended five such training camps run by the terror outfit between 2002 and 2003, according to Headley's plea agreement.
Pakistani-American David Coleman Headley, a Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative charged with conspiring in the 26/11 Mumbai terror strike, will plead guilty before a United States court on Thursday, five months after he was arrested by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Revelations by Pakistani-American David Headley, a Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative charged with conspiring in the 26/11 Mumbai attacks, may have prompted Islamabad to finally go after the Afghan-Taliban, a noted United States scholar on South Asia has said.
It has been two years since the horrific 26/11 attacks shook Mumbai and India, but there are still plenty of lose ends in the case thanks to the fact the Pakistani spy agency Inter Services Intelligence and Lashkar-e-Tayiba relied on operatives from around the globe to execute the dastardly attacks, reports Vicky Nanjappa.
The extradition of arrested American national and Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative David Coleman Headley is likely to take place only after the Mumbai police files a supplementary chargesheet against him in connection with the 26/11 terror attacks case.
Pakistani-origin American national David Coleman Headley, a Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative charged with criminal conspiracy in the 26/11 terror attacks, now appears to have turned into an informant to the Federal Bureau of Investigation to avoid death penalty.